[opendtv] Re: LPTV and digital

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:21:53 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The right solution would have been to incorporate an NTSC/analog
> cable/QAM tuner along with the ATSC tuner, as is standard practice
> with new HD capable TVs. One can understand why the Feds did not
> think it appropriate to include these tuners, IF there was
> significant evidence that they would have caused the price of these
> boxes to increase. But the reality is that they are virtually free,
> because of the design of most modern tuner chips. It may actually
> have cost more to create a new chip without the other tuners, as
> this required new engineering, new chip masks, etc.

Or perhaps they just goofed? Forgot about LPTV?

> Now the government has more explaining to do, to educate consumers
> that they may need a box with pass through, and the NTIA is trying
> to figure out how to re-issue coupons for those whose coupons will
> expire before boxes with analog pass through become available later
> this year.

I don't think this is such a big deal, myself. The devices these boxes
plug into have their own NTSC tuners already, so if the problem is that
you might need two remotes, big whoopie.

I would have been more interested in seeing some sort of assistance to
LPTV stations or translators to speed up their conversion to digital,
than to see tax money spent on giving them D/A converters.