[opendtv] Re: LPTV and digital

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 06:16:29 -0500

At 6:19 PM -0500 2/16/08, Albert Manfredi wrote:
Craig Birkmaier wrote:

 John Shutt provided a good explanation of the problem with
 this approach. You are the one who is always objecting to
 the complexity of using a STB.

John made a good point. It's just that to me, this NTSC issue is a very temporary problem, and it applies only to LPTV or translator users. My hope is that all of these will go to digital long before 2012.

It's not likely that it will happen before 2012. And people along the northern and southern U.S. borders may have analog signals for years after that.

By the way, if I were dependent on a translator, I'd be doing whatever I could to get them to switch over pronto. Since translators belong to full power stations, I would expect they would switch over as soon as the FCC gives them a frequency. LPTV might be something different, since I assume they are usually strapped for cash.

Not all translators belong to stations. MANY counties around the U.S. built translators to bring TV to their constituents.

With the growth of cable and DBS, many of these facilities may never be upgraded beyond adding a DTV convertor.