[opendtv] Re: LG LST-3410A PVR

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 11:16:34 -0500

At 9:37 AM -0500 11/9/05, Tom Barry wrote:
>I'm all for that except they seem to be using it as a lever to move
>people to the more expensive premium digital tiers.  I only subscribe to
>limited basic, plus whatever my PCHD cards can get.
>
>They need a digital basic tier that doesn't cost more.

There is another reason that cable is moving to all digital distribution...

DBS

When you add up the cost to receive digital cable, the difference in
cost between cable and DBS can be considerable.

My guess is that cable will gradually lower the premium for digital
cable until it is at a par with DBS. Then they will virtually give
away analog cable to capture the laggards who still use NTSC.

This will be necessary when DBS begins to offer a "free digital tier"
for nothing more than the cost of buying a receiver (i.e. less than
$200 at retail). The end game for both is selling content via their
pipes...the advertiser supported stuff will become the bait.