[opendtv] Re: Just How Dumb Is It For CBS To Block CNET From

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 12:21:36 -0800

Dan Grimes wrote:

> We have very different definitions of what "any time" means.
> One might be able to watch last night's episode on the
> network's site, but not all programs are offered and only the
> last or a few episodes are offered for the ones that are
> actually online.

Bert responded:

"But we're comparing this to a DISH PVR, right? So how many episodes are
you going to store on the PVR?"

I see your point about it being comparable to a PVR.

Those were some interesting links you posted.  The sites didn't provide the
actual media but did help locate where one could view the media and for
what price.  It appeared to me that most titles are available for a fee but
there were costless options sometimes.

I played the media directly from sites that offered them directly, just to
see what they were like.  But on the costless sites, I usually found the
media to be inferior, low-def versions.  Sometimes, usually the ones
available on the network sites themselves, they were full quality (at least
what the web currently has to offer; it still doesn't compare to an ATSC
experience).  And I still found the user experience to be quite a time
suck.

I suppose it is possible to quite a bit of media through the PC (although
not even close to a majority of my consumption).  It's just that as I find
MVPD's to be not worth the money, I don't find a PC portal to be worth the
time.

As much as I agree that OTT and connected TVs aren't the ideal way to
connect to media, it is still one of the most convenient and with many
positives, including lower overall cost and simplicity to get to the media.
But I do admit there are quite a few negatives, too.

Dan