[opendtv] Re: Just How Dumb Is It For CBS To Block CNET From

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 18:17:19 -0600

Dan Grimes wrote:

> We have very different definitions of what "any time" means.
> One might be able to watch last night's episode on the
> network's site, but not all programs are offered and only the
> last or a few episodes are offered for the ones that are
> actually online.

But we're comparing this to a DISH PVR, right? So how many episodes are you
going to store on the PVR? I dunno. Not necessarily the entire season? Anyway,
this also depends on the network or the show itself. I actually do a lot of
catch-up during rerun seasons, of shows I haven't been following. ABC is very
good for this, for example.

This is my "new normal" now, for watching prime time TV. No problem with
watching times, no problem with conflicting broadcast schedules when trying to
record on a PVR, way fewer commercials (although they have been increasing -
used to be just 30 second breaks, now more like 120 seconds).

> To me, to be considered a significant media source, it must
> have a much more extensive, searchable and up-front list of
> titles.  Anything else is just promotional space.

Assuming we're only talking about the networks' own web sites, perhaps it would
help if all the sites had the same format. But honestly, what they offer is
very good, I think. The full episodes are typically listed by show name, so you
can scroll down and see how many episodes they have. AND, why limit yourself to
the network sites?

With a proper Internet TV, "searchable" is as flexible as it is for any other
Internet search. For example, I searched "NCIS" using Webcrawler, and instantly
got these sites and a whole lot more, for full episodes. I didn't even know
about them.

http://video.tvguide.com/shows/NCIS

http://tv.blinkx.com/show/ncis/aBIOqR-m31YFAjZQ

http://www.buddytv.com/ncis.aspx

http://www.tv.com/shows/ncis/watch/

And on and on and on. Note how none of these sites is available with your
typical "connected TV," whose designers come across as being so profoundly
un-clued. You can find entire seasons available online. Why limit yourself to
MVPD search?

Search under even something as sacrosanct as "ESPN online." A long list of
"live" sites available. I don't know, possibly some of these might come and go.
However, over time, more and more TV is becoming available online, not the
other way around.