[opendtv] Re: Just How Dumb Is It For CBS To Block CNET From

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 17:29:33 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Full web browsing on a TV has been a waste of time due to these
> and other issues (mostly user interface). And any attempt to
> provide a good web browsing experience on a TV via a cheap add
> on box is going to be met with the same response - the free
> streaming sites operated by the congloms will be blocked.

This is nonsense, Craig. In this day and age of cheap processors and handheld
devices, there's no excuse at all. I can view any online content on our Kindle
Fire, for example. Are you telling me that embedding a Kindle Fire type of
device in your TV set is such a huge problem? Are you trying to tell me that
replacing the touch screen interface with a pointing device, like a wireless
mouse or something similar, is such a huge problem?

Are you telling me that the congloms want to keep all their stuff away from
PCs, smart phones, and tablets? Are you telling me that a streaming media
server would necessarily be able to distinguish a PC, tablet, or a smartphone
from a smart TV set or STB?

Come now. Think outside the MVPD box.