[opendtv] Re: Just How Dumb Is It For CBS To Block CNET From

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 17:42:30 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> There are MANY smart TV designs as well as modules that are attached
> via HDMI to provide the same capabilities. The reality is that the
> companies operating these streaming TV sites have been trying to
> require evidence of an MVPD subscription in order to use the sites.
> The only exception seems to be PCs, which have not been shut down.
> It matters not, whether you are using a Google TV, Apple TV, or Roku
> box - these all require verification of MVPD service. Dittos for all
> smartphones and tablets.

This seems like another example cause and effect mix-up.

Roku only allows you to browse a certain list of sites (they call them
"channels"), much like many or perhaps all of the smart TVs and smart BluRay
players on the market. Certainly all the ones I've seen.

You interpret this to mean that the legions of sites and portals are blocking
the devices, but in fact, it's exactly the opposite. Another likely problem
with your devices is that Apple blocks Flash. Dumb move. I always said so. But
again, it's the device, not the site, that's doing the blocking. Flash is the
de-facto standard these day, for online video content.

There have been a small number of well-publicized cases where congloms blocked
certain devices, like AppleTV and GoogleTV. For reasons we've already been
through. There are also cases where sites block some content from viewers
"outside the national territory."

For example, a few years ago I played with a Sony Vaio smart STB/BluRay player.
I wrote about it here. I had no trouble at all browsing any site I wanted to.
Because it used Windows Vista (IIRC), and a regular browser. It was not
crippled, like Roku and others. I'm telling you, these guys are in bed with the
MVPDs, and you just can't see that.

As to MVPD username/password, that's only for MVPD-exclusive content that the
content owners decide to keep walled off. You should try going to cbs.com,
abc.com, etc. on your tablet. Aside from the video being unavailable to you (if
your box doesn't support Flash), you should have no trouble.