[opendtv] Re: It's Not Just The Antenna

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 18:42:30 -0500

Dan Grimes wrote:

> My analog reception is near perfect and the meter on the
> Digital Stream box shows a solid green, 92 to 96 percent, for
> almost all DTV stations.

Wow. That's more signal than I get for just about any channel.

> However, my Philips 3575H (no meter that I can find) locks up
> once in a while when changing channels, I often get
> macroblocking, audio drops occasionally and sometimes the color
> drops out.  And one of the sub-channels (NBC 3.2, Weather)
> doesn't display at all.

The macroblocking might be caused by front end overload? Just a guess.
That's the only symptom that MIGHT be related to signal reception
issues. You seems to be getting very strong reception.

I had a similar channel freezing problem with the Accurian (but not the
similar Digital Stream), when receiving the NBC weather channel, on 4-2.
It froze to that channel whenever I tuned it in. Had to cycle power to
move off 4-2.

My suspicion was something to do with PSIP. When I called the local NBC
O&O, they said that all NBC O&Os had gotten some sort of software
update, and had a deluge of Accurian households calling in to bitch,
nationwide.

Could be something like that going on with your Philips box. My Philips
PVR, same one you have, works very well indeed, and I commonly play back
recordings that have no visible glitches at all.