[opendtv] Re: DTV TRANSITION: "On Feb. 18, there will be a tremendous amount of finger-pointing," Mr. Doherty said.]

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 18:10:02 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> My guess is that once the OTA digital transition is over, all of
> those manufacturers of cheap coupon eligible STBs will modify
> their software code slightly, unlock the built-in ClearQAM
> potential, and start selling "expanded digital basic" STBs to
> counter the cable company's attempt to rent 3 or 4 cable boxes
> per sub.

But they won't necessarily meet with any success, UNLESS the cable
companies agree.

Tethered systems are allowed to encrypt and to copy-protect anything
they want, including those channels that are available FOTA. And
besides, cable companies don't offer all the channels that one can
receive OTA. At least, not in this market.