[opendtv] Re: DTV TRANSITION: "On Feb. 18, there will be a tremendous amount of finger-pointing," Mr. Doherty said.]

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 17:22:20 -0800

You are a blithering idiot.  Note that John Shutt said, and you quoted,
"ClearQAM".

Clear, my dear bert, means "unencrypted".  There is no agreement required
between cable companies and CE companies to use clear QAM transmissions.
THEY ARE INCLUDED IN ALL CABLE DROPS.  BY REGULATION AND INTENT (of the
FCC.)

It's true that cable doesn't offer all the channels that one can receive
over the air. LPTV and Class A stations, for example, don't have must
carry/retrans rights.  However, for most people, cable does carry over the
air signals that cannot be received reliably in all locations served by
cable.

Also, cable generally carries several dozen channels IN THE CLEAR that are
not available anywhere on the air.  Like, say "C-SPAN I, II and even III. Of
course you don't know much if anything about C-SPAN, since you have never
subscribed to cable.

Yet, you try to provide 'guidance' to people who do.

Cable systems generally encrypt fewer channels than they are entitled to do.
That's simply because by doing so, they don't have to provide decrypt boxes
to extended basic subscribers, which are generally the bulk of cable
subscribers.

And, stop the "umbilical" systems bullshit.  Your electricity is tethered,
as is your water and sewage, your telephone, your Internet and your
'natural' gas service.  Or, perhaps you're on propane.

The umbilical cords provide a wealth of services that you barely know about.

On the other hand, I doubt that it will be possible to unlock the clear qam
potential in cheeseboxes, at least by the seller or the vendor.

John Willkie