[opendtv] Re: It's Not Just The Antenna

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:04:36 -0800

Dan;

Aside from not having the gear, if it ain't RF, then the most likely
culprits (in order of significance) are

1)       transport stream bit rate (should be constant; doesn't mean that
the encoder is actually doing that)

2)       bad elements in MPEG-2 PSI and/or PSIP (such as tables changing
dynamically with or without changes in version_number)

3)       repetition rates in PSI and PSIP tables

4)       data mismatch between PSI and PSIP (most importantly, the
transport_stream_id in the PAT header must match the transport_stream_id
field in the header of the TVCT

5)       video/audio buffer under/overflow

Hooling up the free version of TS_Reader to a PCI-card receiver can help
diagnose all of the above save for 5).

John Willkie

  _____