[opendtv] Re: How Many Strikes Until They're Out?

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 17:58:56 -0700

You 1) have no evidence, going by the article (you are just reading into it)
"can be used for testing" doesn't mean they actually work.  And, the
observation of a Microsoft engineer doesn't mean anything in this context.

2) are engaging in an ad-hominem attack.  My concerns with white space
devices have nothing to do with the NAB nor with retransmission consent
payments (which didn't exist 20 years ago.)

You are opposed to over the air broadcast tv, and now you think that the
NAB's latest position gives you the opportunity to pour old whine into new
bottles.

I've said all along that there was no real white space, but, that a device
attached to the internet and a multi-kilobuck spectrum analyzer or agile
field-strength meter could detect nearby transmitters.  However, they
wouldn't detect nearby receivers, and these devices will -- if/when deployed
-- curtail service in remote areas.  (interference travels much farther than
signals, a fact well known to rf types, and reflected in the FCC's F(50,50)
and F(50,10) curves.

Indeed, I wonder why Apple hasn't joined into the fray.  Wouldn't these
devices make AppleTV more relevant?

John Willkie