[opendtv] Re: How Many Strikes Until They're Out?

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:06:28 -0700

Okay, so your friend wrote of the need for compensation payments BEFORE
there was an FCC rule permitting carriage.  Somehow, you morph that -- an
entirely logical position to put forth while the subject was being debated
before the FCC.

The FCC adopted the rules in 1971.  You might be able to learn something
were you to actually review the proceeding, which you should be able to do
at any good law library.

In 1970, the issue was in play.

I DON'T CARE that the content providers used the rule to take control of the
multichannel business, because they didn't.

As any fair student of the subject knows, the content providers used the
Financial Interest/Syndication rule changes of 1991 to help them assert
control over multiple platforms.  And, since I actually read the NPRM and
Report and Order (the latter quite long) at the time they were released, all
this was contemplated, discussed and was largely came to pass.

And, FX was in the "first round?"  You are either uninformed or just
blathering.  FX came about in the late 1990s, not the early 1990s.  Also,
Fox was only affected by FinSyn in a minor way, since they weren't really
much affected by the situation before that, due to their status as a <21
hour prime time network.  And, this was reflected by Fox's comments in the
FinSyn proceeding.

Yeah, you are a supporter of that which you can only criticize, just like
Barack Obama is a patriot because he doesn't wear a flag pin nor does he
place his hand over his heart while others cite the Pledge of Alliegance.

If only broadcasters would listen to your font of wisdom, you wouldn't
criticize them!

It's not an ad hominem attack to go after one's ideas.  There is much
daylight between my position -- expostulated in much detail over many
iterations on this list -- on white space devices.  That must be too subtle
for you.

John Willkie