[opendtv] Re: How Many Strikes Until They're Out?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 08:40:44 -0400

At 2:01 PM -0700 3/31/08, John Willkie wrote:

<http://www.broadcastingcable.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA6546054>http://www.broadcastingcable.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA6546054

The <http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6545858.html>National Association of Broadcasters said Friday that the news that the Federal Communications Commission would no longer test a <http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6539682.html>Microsoft device being used to determine the feasibility of sharing digital-TV spectrum with unlicensed wireless devices was the third strike against the devices, while defenders of the devices said it was all part of the testing process. "In baseball, it's three strikes and you're out," NAB spokesman <http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6544336.html>Dennis Wharton said Friday of the news that the Microsoft device had "unexpectedly shut down," as the NAB said Microsoft had characterized it. "How many strikes does Microsoft get? If they can't get the device to work in the lab, how are they going to get it to work in the real world?"

The NAB must be getting desperate.

The "three strikes and your out" analogy is absurd.

It is as if Microsoft is taking the fall for the NAB. I will admit that there is nothing new here in terms of Microsoft's ability to screw things up.

This is the same company that brought us the DTV team, which ALSO really pissed of the NAB and the broadcasters. And then there were all of the failed Microsoft ventures in cable, and the 8th wonder of the world. Media Center PCs. Fortunately, most the world does not look to Microsoft for leadership and reliability.

But the Microsoft devices are not causing interference problems, and the other devices appear to be working. The noise coming from the NAB is beginning to sound all too familiar. Fear mongering and scare tactics are not what is needed here. What is needed is to put this spectrum back to work, and the people who need this the most are the broadcasters, who are doing their best to kill what has been a very lucrative franchise. Broadcasters should be the ones developing technologies for the white spaces so that they can add a back channel to their dying one-way service.

I remarked to a colleague yesterday that this could be my last NAB - my 30th in a row. The NAB conferences and exhibits are the PRIMARY source of NAB revenues, yet only a tiny fraction of the show and it's attendees have anything to do with broadcasting. MANY exhibitors are growing tired of enriching the NAB coffers - does anyone remember Comdex?