[opendtv] Re: Half Truths - Was More 1080p@60

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 17:17:14 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> I lament the fact that we didn't take advantage of the DTV
> transition to kill 29.97, 23.976, and 59.94.

John, as far as I can tell, these frame rates should continue to be
convenient in ATSC for as long as any box out there converts the DTV
signal into NTSC with video and audio (RF, essentially). Right?

For example, since these coupon-program STBs are supposed to convert to
NTSC RF, you still need to worry about dropping that occasional frame.
If all STBs could feed their monitor and sound system with separate
video and audio baseband interfaces, then those odd franme rates could
be eliminated.

Yes?