[opendtv] Re: Half Truths - Was More 1080p@60

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 18:34:00 -0500

Except for the pain of typing and explaining the numbers there is no particular reason refresh rate needs to be an even multiple of seconds.

For that matter, over maybe 60-70 hz I'm not even sure the display refresh rate even has to be an even multiple of the source rate. At some speed judder probably becomes invisible anyway on a non-flickering fixed pixel progressive display. The error in presentation time is less than half the display refresh time, just by rounding to the nearest time stamp.

Though I don't know of any studies to see where smooth slow motion actually appears continuous at increasing (non-multiple) refresh rates.

- Tom

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
John Shutt wrote:

I lament the fact that we didn't take advantage of the DTV
transition to kill 29.97, 23.976, and 59.94.

John, as far as I can tell, these frame rates should continue to be
convenient in ATSC for as long as any box out there converts the DTV
signal into NTSC with video and audio (RF, essentially). Right?

For example, since these coupon-program STBs are supposed to convert to
NTSC RF, you still need to worry about dropping that occasional frame.
If all STBs could feed their monitor and sound system with separate
video and audio baseband interfaces, then those odd franme rates could
be eliminated.

Yes?

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx