[opendtv] Re: Half Truths - Was More 1080p@60

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 10:35:43 -0500

At 9:57 AM -0500 12/6/07, John Shutt wrote:
It would have been too much to ask to have transitioned to a common worldwide set of acquisition formats in DTV.

Yes, at the time there was still the perception that the differences in frame rates could help protect domestic markets for certain CE vendors.

And there is the nasty issue of still having to serve legacy receivers.

But there is hope. Variable frame rate acquisition technology is now a reality, and is likely to become a feature of lower cost acquisition gear in the future. Once this becomes commonplace we may see more innovative use of other frame rates.

But I fear we may need to wait another decade until all of those old CRT displays die...