[opendtv] Re: FCC chairman offers plan to save broadcasters - CNET

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 23:55:37 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Stop the crap Bert. The former Harris employee was not talking about
> a few big sticks. The system they envision uses the existing station
> big stick as the master, with the cells as synchronized slaves to
> make the whole thing work because of the problems with multi path
> from the big stick.

You mean, precisely what I just finished describing to you?

My post April 12, 2014:

"Think of it like this: In order to get the signal to hundreds of widely
distributed towers, the broadcaster would figuratively still need that big
stick to distribute the signal to the small sticks. And then the broadcaster
would also have the burden of caring for the hundreds of small sticks. There's
no free lunch.

So in other words, the broadcaster still has the expense of the big stick, plus
all the small sticks too, and you think this is a more likely way to keep FOTA
TV economically viable? Very funny!

> The station could do the same by adding cells in these more distant
> communities.

And the expensive, wired, synchronized backhaul network. And for the thousandth
time, Craig. WHAT IS THE SPACING BETWEEN LTE TOWERS FOR SFN OPERATION, as a
function of spectral efficiency? What does "adding cells in these more distant
communities" even mean, when you have no clue how many cells that is?

> These cells exist, they can be leased in whatever density is needed.

First, what "exists" are towers, not transmitters. Secondly, what "exists" are
towers spaced for unicast non-SFN service. You have to understand the
limitations of SFNs, and understand the number of transmitters the broadcasters
have to support, to speak intelligently about what's at stake here.

Otherwise, you're just blowing smoke.