[opendtv] Re: FCC chairman offers plan to save broadcasters - CNET

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 18:44:29 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Sorry Bert, but broadcasters everywhere are dragging their feet to protect

> a dying business.

That doesn't stop anyone from deploying SFNs, however. But something did put
constraints on tower designs.

The problem with most trade scribes is that they don't get beyond the
superficial explanations they might get from the latest marketing hack. So when
said marketing hack gives an overly simplistic description, the trade scribe
often thinks that's all there is to it.

Some trade scribes are educable, if you steer them in the right direction, and
eventually get a more well-rounded understanding of the issues. Others prefer
to create a narrative of their own, and they will doggedly stick to their
superficial understanding, as long as it supports their narrative.

If you think about it, not unlike the religiously devout.

> Most of the world does not have HDTV broadcasts.

Several European countries deployed SFNs. Check them out, Craig. Tell me why
they all use big sticks, perhaps one or two medium sticks as well, no cellco
sized sticks, and never a dense mesh. If big sticks are so much more expensive
than small cellco-sized cells and dense deployments, wouldn't you expect these
TV broadcasters to have made the switch?

> Maybe you will believe the words of someone who does this for a living:

> Interestingly, where previously the former Harris Broadcast was steadfast

> in its support of a “single stick” approach to mobile transmission,

big sticks."

I believe in math, Craig. I don't believe in BS simplistic marketing hype.

Now again, focusing on LTE, tell me what *it's* SFN limitations are. I'll give
you a huge hint: LTE is designed for 4G (which depends on small cells for good
frequency reuse), to **mobile** devices, and otherwise must follow the same
rules as DVB-T/T2 has to follow, for SFNs. Basic math and basic physics. Not
marketing hype.

Focus on the details for a change, Craig. I can read the generic marketing BS
from the trade scribes already.