[opendtv] Re: FCC chairman offers plan to save broadcasters - CNET

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 23:01:17 -0400

On Apr 13, 2014, at 7:55 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> You mean, precisely what I just finished describing to you?

NO.

I mean precisely what I said.

My post April 12, 2014:

> "Think of it like this: In order to get the signal to hundreds of widely
> distributed towers, the broadcaster would figuratively still need that big
> stick to distribute the signal to the small sticks. And then the broadcaster
> would also have the burden of caring for the hundreds of small sticks.
> There's no free lunch.
>
> So in other words, the broadcaster still has the expense of the big stick,
> plus all the small sticks too, and you think this is a more likely way to
> keep FOTA TV economically viable? Very funny!

I said that this was what Harris was proposing. It is one of many ways to get
the signals to the SFN towers, and clearly not the least expensive. It is far
cheaper now to simply use IP backhaul networks - essentially leased broadband
pipes with guaranteed performance. And the former Harris engineers did not say
anything about hundreds of small sticks. As with other OFDM SFNs, the number is
probably in the tens for most markets. Higher density is only needed for better
spectral reuse, if you want to deliver different streams to sub markets.

>> The station could do the same by adding cells in these more distant
>> communities.
>
> And the expensive, wired, synchronized backhaul network. This stuff was
> expensive decades ago. Not today. There is plenty of bandwidth to every tower
> site.

> And for the thousandth time, Craig. WHAT IS THE SPACING BETWEEN LTE TOWERS
> FOR SFN OPERATION, as a function of spectral efficiency? What does "adding
> cells in these more distant communities" even mean, when you have no clue how
> many cells that is?

It is no different than for cello two-way services. You gain spectral
efficiency through spectral reuse. Smaller cells increases reuse, which
increases special efficiency overall. Tower spacing for LTE Broadcast is
relative to the area where you want the broadcast to be available. IN many
markets it may only take a few cells around the perimeter of the market. IF you
want to serve sub markets you use more cells and checkerboard the frequencies
to provide the needed isolation, and to enable reuse of the frequency for
different bits.