[opendtv] Re: Electric power as a natural monopoly

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 00:33:20 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> ESPN decided it was not in their best interest to offer a paid
> OTT option.

We see this very differently. I see (even) ESPN debating when to make this
move, and you see it as a fixed answer that will stand for all time. It's kind
of obvious to me that if ESPN notices the younger generation resisting MVPD
dependency, more so than the older folks did, then ESPN will continue to
re-evaluate when to make the upgrade. Trendlines, Craig.

> My wife is agitating to cut back to "lifeline analog cable"
> because she could care less about HDTV, and we don't watch most
> of the channels we get, nor do we use the HD DVR much. I
> pointed out that she would lose ESPN and much of the sports she
> does watch; her response was to drop cable now and subscribe
> only during football season.

My wife used to claim she didn't care about HDTV or HiFi sound, but now, when
viewing analog TV using a crappy TV sound system, she admits it makes a
difference. Anyway, she only wants HGTV from cable. I bookmarked HGTV's web
site on her PC. She hardly ever watches TV, aside from the talent shows. I told
her, if we did get cable just for HGTV, how much do you want to be you'd get
bored with it after 2-3 weeks?

Last Thanksgiving, when our nephews came for the big dinner, my wife told them,
"If you guys think we're going to be watching football, it ain't gonna happen!"
And it didn't.