[opendtv] Re: Electric power as a natural monopoly

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 09:21:41 -0500

On Feb 9, 2014, at 7:43 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> What the bill covers is not the issue. Think of it this way:
>
> Just as you seem happy with multiple COMPETING generating plants sharing the
> "natural monopoly" electric grid, you SHOULD also be happy that the Internet
> allows multiple competing TV content owners, *and* content aggregators, to
> share the natural monopoly ISP networks (and the larger interexchange
> networks). And yet, you seem unable to accept that this increased competition
> is starting to take place.

I am not arguing that there is increased competition, and that the current
trend is to move to the Internet. The VCR caused increased competition. The DVD
caused increased competition. Blockbuster, the Netflix DVD service and Redbox
caused increased competition.

Now the Internet is replacing the role that these services have played, adding
the convenience of on demand access to huge libraries of content. The only
constant in all of this is that the content and distribution congloms have been
able to make a MVPD subscription just another utility bill for 85% of U.S.
homes by keeping enough exclusive first run and live programming behind the pay
walls.

Just as the Internet has enabled improved replacements for the legacy packaged
media markets, it is also providing the congloms with new opportunities to
enhance the value of a MVPD subscription. Just enter your username and
password, and your new mobile screens can access the stuff behind the pay walls
too!

>> But don't look for the FCC to change the rules with respect to bundling;
>
> I never have!! It's not the FCC's job! The congloms will do whatever it takes
> to increase revenues to themselves, and will have freer rein to do so if the
> infrastructure is agnostic as to content.
>
> E.g., the congloms will not be forced to submit to tier structures that are
> important to the MVPD of times past. Instead, the congloms can explore any
> number of different options, either on their own, and/or through any number
> of different intermediary OTT sites. And individual households are free to
> choose what *they* prefer, instead of having to submit to the whims of their
> local MVPD's "natural monopoly" preferences.

Keep dreaming Bert.

What you desire is not happening.