[opendtv] Re: Electric power as a natural monopoly

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 07:55:24 -0500

> On Feb 10, 2014, at 7:37 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E"
> <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Heh heh. This from the guy who insisted FOR YEARS that HDTV was always going
> to be expensive, intended only for only for a niche clientele.

Guess I'll have to go back in the archives to the early '90s to see what I
said. I did argue that EDTV would have been a better first step, which is akin
to what Europe did with analog component SDTV. Broadcasters skipped EDTV here
in the states, although most early HDTV products offered no more resolution
than a 1024 x 768 progressive scan EDTV system. But the shift to flat panel TVs
did enable the HD revolution.

It is perhaps a bit ironic that many of the OTT services you watch are
delivered at EDTV resolutions...

> Here, this is a compilation of 18 aggregation portals (not including
> wwitv.com, by the way), which show both conglom sites and non-conglom sites:
>
> http://websearch.about.com/od/freetvonline/tp/How-To-Watch-Free-Tv-On-The-Web-The-Top-30-Websites.htm
>
> Apparently, it's happening. And the content you claim to be "most valuable,"
> although of no interest to me, presumably ESPN, even they are considering
> their options. I posted an article to that effect already.

ESPN decided it was not in their best interest to offer a paid OTT option. This
makes perfect sense. Today the vast majority of MVPD homes are paying about
$5/mo for ESPN channels, even if they do not watch them. Unbundling would kill
this cash cow.

And it is important yo note that ESPN is the crown jewel that causes MANY
viewers to put up with bundling. My wife is agitating to cut back to "lifeline
analog cable" because she could care less about HDTV, and we don't watch most
of the channels we get, nor do we use the HD DVR much. I pointed out that she
would lose ESPN and much of the sports she does watch; her response was to drop
cable now and subscribe only during football season.

> Craig, you're being left behind!

Not sure how you can come to this conclusion. I have access to everything you
can watch, and a bunch of stuff you cannot watch. Having access to thousands of
programs is interesting, but mostly worthless if you are not interested in
their content. Having access to the limited amount of programming you DO want
yo see is what matters..

You're the one that chooses to limit your options...