[opendtv] Re: DVB-T HDTV demo using 19.7 Mbps in a 6 Mhz channel in costa rica

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 12:45:57 -0500

Doug McDonald wrote:

>John Shutt wrote:
>

>>What is the point of your quote?  It reinforces what was actually observed
>>in the field by over a hundred different observers over the course of a
>>summer in 1999.  You think you can tell the difference in 2 dB of
>>sensitivity in your living room with your receiver?  Atmospherics alone will
>>make the signal vary by more than 2 dB.
>>

>You BET I CAN tell a 2 dB difference, and it is large and
>obvious.
>
>Actually, of course, the difference is still more like 3 dB
>between COFDM and ATSC, but let's say 2 dB because it's
>still a big difference in reception.
>
>I have a station I watch frequently that is some 68 miles
>away. I get if off an indoor antenna, a 16 element Yagi
>sticking out a window. This is attached to a preamp
>with a 0.6 dB [sic] NF, which is is tuned for the
>channel of interest, though the 3 dB NF bandwidth is +- 4
>channels.
>
>The signal is quite reliable with this setup. I get dropouts
>for periods of a hour or so in the evening every 10 days or
>so in early winter. The signal on a spectrum analyzer is
>near perfectly flat when reception is OK. Typically the
>S/N on the receiver is in the 16.5-18 dB range. The failures
>start when it starts dropping below 16 dB into the middle
>15s. The S/N shown on the receiver meter corresponds to the
>power level shown on the spectrum analyzer as long as the
>spectrum is flat. In some reception conditions, in very cold
>winter conditions just after sunset, I start seeing a
>non-flat spectrum that varies on a 1 second time scale.
>These are very broad frequency drops, not sharp dips; as
>they vary in frequency you can see them move around inside
>this channel (which is 44) and also the same drops appear
>just as expected by extrapolation in a channel 42 station
>which is the same power, height, and on a tower about one
>mile away from 44. If the average level drops below 16 dB,
>I start seeing dropouts.
>
>Now, I have frequently tried inserting a 2 or 3 dB
>attenuator right at the input of the preamp. This has a
>DRAMATIC influence on reliability in any season except
>Aug-Oct. Instead of normally having completely reliable
>reception, it becomes quite iffy. Some days it is fine, but
>in early winter it is almost always zip, none, nothing all
>evening. In late fall or spring/early summer it becomes
>perhaps 75% reliable, which is near useless, compared to the
>normal >99.9% reliability.
>
>So I can say that IN THE ACTUAL REAL WORLD, 2 or 3 dB makes
>a HUGE difference in actual real world useability of a station.
>
>Now there is also another thing: that ch. 42 is, except in
>late summer/early fall, virtually NEVER receivable, even
>though the spectrum analyzer shows it to be exactly the same
>signal strength as 44 (and the NF of the receiver is still
>probably 1 or 1.3 dB at Ch. 42). This is because there is a
>channel 41 digital signal that is typically 40 dB stronger.
> [...]
If there is such a big advantage for 8-VSB then of course next time we
have the ability to test the two you will show up or at least actively
and vocally admonish your 8-VSB fellow travelers to show up or shut up.
Don't remember any such activity the last few times.

And don't be too quick to answer in the positive. We may have such an
opportunity real soon.

Bob Miller