[opendtv] Re: DVB-T HDTV demo using 19.7 Mbps in a 6 Mhz channel in costa rica

  • From: Mark Aitken <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 12:27:30 -0500

In some stable condition locations, where the variation is small, 2dB
can make a difference. If there does indeed exist a 20-25dB variation
from some particular location, I can scantly think that 2dB makes THAT
big of a difference...
Is there a difference in the real world versus an actual real world?

Doug McDonald wrote:

>John Shutt wrote:
>

>>Doug,
>>
>>Thank you for confirming that atmospherics will cause more than a 2 dB
>>difference in the received signal.
>>
>>John
>>

>More than 2 dB?? Of course more than 2 dB ... it's more like
>20 or 25 dB!!!
>
>HOWEVER ... its seasonal. In stable seasons it can sit
>stably for weeks. Only in late summer or fall do you see
>frequent sharp upward spikes of up to 25 dB. Only in early
>winter do you see the small but significant downward dips.
>
>And as I said, a 2 dB difference in signal power from the
>transmitter makes a DRAMATIC difference in the useability of
>a station in the presence of these fluctuations.
>
>The fact that there are fluctuations due to tropo conditions
>is a reason why a 2 dB difference DOES matter, not why it
>does NOT matter. THAT'S MY POINT, in the real actual world.
>
>Doug McDonald

><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>
Regards,
Mark A. Aitken
Director, Advanced Technology
<><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><
===================================
Sinclair Broadcast Group
10706 Beaver Dam Road
Hunt Valley, MD 21030
===================================
"There is nothing so likely to produce peace
as to be well prepared to meet the enemy."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ George Washington ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Business TEL: (410) 568-1535
Business MOBILE: (443) 677-4425
Business FAX: (410) 568-1580