[opendtv] Re: DVB-T HDTV demo using 19.7 Mbps in a 6 Mhz channel in costa rica

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 11:25:42 -0500

Bert,

> "...the field this
> difference shrank to 2 dB. Sinclair suggests that this may be due to the
> effect of real world impairments that add to the theoretical 'gaussian'
> channel values."

What is the point of your quote?  It reinforces what was actually observed
in the field by over a hundred different observers over the course of a
summer in 1999.  You think you can tell the difference in 2 dB of
sensitivity in your living room with your receiver?  Atmospherics alone will
make the signal vary by more than 2 dB.

And you will note that the test I linked to was done outside of the
station's Grade B contour.

I am in broadcasting.  I do care about broadcasting.  I do focus on my DTT.
Why do you think you and I have been butting heads for the past 6 years?
Because I have seen the disappointing real world results, while you sit in
your office and read reports.

You remind me of the old joke about the mathematician, the engineer, and the
hotel fire.  You are the mathematician because you see a theoretical
solution and have gone back to bed.

John