[opendtv] Re: Cox: Hard-wired cable users must soon switch to mini box | Gainesville.com

  • From: "John Shutt" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "shuttj" for DMARC)
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 22:42:44 -0400

Funny you should mention that. Comcast Lansing used to transmit some basic cable SD channels and broadcast HD channels in clearQAM. When they killed the analog tier, they also killed clearQAM, necessating the use of the mini boxes on secondary TVs.

I believe the reason why Comcast went to the mini boxes was because they would interface with second and third TVs that were analog CRT TVs. Only the main TV would be the "high priced" HDTV.

The only interface available on the free Motorola mini boxes is Channel 3 NTSC RF. No HDMI, no Component Analog, and not even Composite NTSC analog. Just NTSC via RF Channel 3. The video quality really stinks.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>