[opendtv] Re: Cox: Hard-wired cable users must soon switch to mini box | Gainesville.com

  • From: "John Shutt" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "shuttj" for DMARC)
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 07:10:32 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Birkmaier" <brewmastercraig@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Just sayin...

You want the cable companies to recover spectrum for broadband. Cox is doing that.

I agree that requiring a cheaper box is not as desirable a solution as what Comcast just announced. Then again, John says Comcast went all digital four years ago. They too must have required former analog subscribers to use some kind of box to access the digital channels - what did those boxes cost?

I'm pretty sure I posted on OpenDTV when the switch first occurred, but each subscriber received two Motorola DTA100 STBs free of charge for use with secondary TVs. They are extremely basic boxes, and only recently has the software been updated to include a rudementary guide. One TV would continue to use the full blown cable box it always had. In the past couple of years we've upgraded to the Xfinity X1 box and I love it.

And the Comcast app is worthless unless the subscriber ALSO subscribes to Comcast broadband.

We have Comcast cable and broadband, but I'm fairly certain that the Xfinity TV Go app is available to all cable subscribers. There is also another Comcast app called Xfinity TV that is only available to X1 customers and only works in your home. With it you can access network channels and also stream content saved on your DVR. But for outside of your home Wi-Fi you must use the TV Go app that does not stream broadcast network programming.

John