[opendtv] Re: Controversial VMAs puts fresh spotlight on the

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 00:21:36 +0000

Craig Birkmaier posted:

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/dec/12/entertainment/la-et-ct-nfl-ratings-20121212

Let me try to explain again, then.

The reason MVPD addicts pay ever higher prices is because they bring this onto
themselves. When there is no demand elasticity, consumers will see high prices.
I don't know how many times this has to be repeated, to get the obvious across.

Or let me put it another way. The high prices ARE NOT caused by politicians, as
you keep saying. No politician has ever forced me to subscribe to an MVPD. No
politician has ever forced Disney to transmit ESPN only over MVPDs. No
politician has ever forced MVPDs to bundle content. No politician has ever
forced the MVPDs to use non-standard, proprietary protocols, in order to push
unnecessary rental hardware on people. No politician has ever forced the major
networks to cease FOTA or FOTI program streams. If anything, it's exactly the
opposite.

The high prices are caused instead by addicted consumers. The article you
posted says there are a lot of addicts. Ergo, you get outrageous prices. QED.