[opendtv] Interesting posting from another list...

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 21:24:31 -0400

Recently, on another imaging list in another galaxy far, far away, someone posted...

"we ought to be making new video standards that are backwardly compatible with the old standards."

...to which someone else replied...

"You obviously don't work for Apple.

Being involved with the struggle between distribution formats, my main gripe is that there are simply too many, and none of them are well understood, and the decision-makers and distributors for the most part don't know there are actually any differences at all. (Its "just video", right?)

Charles Poynton, where are you?

Help me out here... there were a couple (and they were a married couple) of color researchers from the mid-80s who were trying to convince the recommendation-makers that an entirely log/log approach to color difference and gamma would do away with most of this space-transform/display complicatedness. The Glenns? Seems to me a golden opportunity was missed."

Then a bit later someone else wrote..

"Indeed back in 1998 Charles Poynton argued against altering the luma coefficients when moving from 601 to 709 standards.
His argument like yours was for backward compatibility.

http://www.poynton.com/papers/SMPTE_98_YYZ_Luma/index.html

It seems that it's all too easy these days to create a new standard or new codec without regard to existing ones. I've always striven to make a new version, format or protocol backwards and forwards compatible as the extra effort pays off for the customer.

However I can see your suggestion being too practical and not "technically correct" enough for the standards committees !!

Meanwhile I think that the UHDTV sets that are currently being shipped are using 8 bit HDMI and Rec 709, which adds fuel to your suggestion."

Hmm.
Our new best friends, The Standards Committies--All Several of 'em.

Cliff