[opendtv] Re: Interesting posting from another list...

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 23:10:49 +0000

Cliff Benham wrote:

> Meanwhile I think that the UHDTV sets that are currently being shipped are
> using 8 bit HDMI and Rec 709, which adds fuel to your suggestion."

Heh. I just read that HDMI 2.0 is in the works now, specifically required for
proper UHDTV connections. And look at the settings in your PC's graphics card.
I'll bet they won't support anything approaching 4K X 2K.

There's a whole new transition about to happen.

Somewhat related, my wife ordered a UK power kit for her Kindle Fire, for an
upcoming trip across the pond. So I said, don't you find that inconsistent? TV
standards around the world are all screwed up and incompatible. Power standards
around the world are equally all screwed up. (And never mind digital MVPDs.)

And yet, do you need any sort of WiFi, Ethernet, or IP adapter? Nope. "They"
haven't screwed that one up yet. (And no, Craig, "they" is hardly governments.)