[opendtv] Re: Controversial VMAs puts fresh spotlight on the

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 22:55:46 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Cox Cable and AT&T both share the utility poles in my neighborhood. And
> AT&T has fiber buried in my front yard.

You need to show me where Cox and AT&T share their fiber infrastructure, and
use the same cable-to-appliance interface standards, before I can begin to
agree that you have a point, Craig. You know, more like what the OTA stations
must do. More like what Internet appliances must do.

Just because AT&T and Cox trucks can both share the public roads, or just
because their employees can eat at the same fast food joints, **hardly** makes
your case. Unbelievable.

> The entire previous message was intended to explain that the politicians
> DO regulate broadcasters and the MVPDs in the SAME way.

The entire previous message was totally unconvincing. Policiticans DO NOT set
the rates that MVPDs can charge. Politicians DO NOT hold the MVPDs to interface
standards. All politicians have done is to tell content owners to provide their
stuff to MVPDs in a fair way. AND they have done this on Verizon's behalf
(FiOS) AND they are about to do the same for OTT sites. That promotes
competition, Craig.

[Multiple examples of competitive TV distribution allowed by government,
including FOTI sites by the networks themselves.]

> To be fair they do not prevent this; but this IS NOT competition because
> you cannot access the most valuable content in the bundles, or can only
> access it on a delayed basis.

Rolls Royce is not required to sell cars at Chevy dealerships, either. Like I
said, bundles are a way for content owners to extract more money from addicts.
The government has no say in this. Just like the government has no say when
Crest might want to bundle a toothbrush along with their toothpaste. Or
Gillette bundles blades along with the razor handle. We have been over this
only a zillion times already. Besides which, bundling allows those struggling
TV producers you claim to champion to get their otherwise unseen and undemanded
content out there, on these non-standard walled garden distribution  media.

I never worry about bundles, Craig. You are free to do the same. If more of you
did the same, funny how suddenly a lot of that bundled stuff would start
appearing unbundled! Like magic!

> NO BERT. Demand feeds the system.

No, Craig. Addiction and elasticity in demand are different. Elastic demand
means that if you don't want to pay the price for a Rolls Royce, you are always
free to buy a Chevy. Addiction means that you MUST have that Rolls Royce, and
if you can't afford it, you whine about the high prices and look around
desperately to find a scapegoat.