[opendtv] Re: Australia DTV

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 15:15:38 -0500

Dale Kelly wrote:

Have been in Perth Australia for the past two weeks and find
an abundance of DTV Sets of all types advertized in stores and
many include OTA recevers. There are also many STBs and
DVRs. The prices, other than for STBs, seem about the same
as in the US. We've seen STBs that begin at about $60 (46
US) while the HD boxs start at about $160 (123 US).

None of my relatives here own DTV equipment and many are
only moderatly familiar with its avilability. My performance
observations are so far limited to stores and commercial
locations but everything seems to work well and, of course,
looks good.

Perth. Wow. That seems like way out there, far from everything.

What you describe sounds like Europe and just about anywhere else in the world. The oddball TV market is the US where, whether analog or digital, the market caters primarily to subscribers of multichannel services. IMO, the answers to what makes this market odd can only be found here.

Can you get an idea of how popular multichannel services are down under? Do your relatives subscribe to any such service? Do they find it an unnecessary expense?