[opendtv] Re: Aussie Minister announces Digital Australia education Campaign

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 15:43:50 -0500

Neil Pickford wrote:

Some Aussie DTV News
Some Australian press reporting on the Plan

<http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Aussies-urged-to-make-switch-to-digital/2006/11/24/1163871594585.html>

Just picking the first article Neil posted, here are some highlights:

1. Analog shutoff to be between 2010 and 2012, but it was originally set for 2008. So, same experience as everywhere else except for Germany. Analog shutoff gets moved out far enough so as not to be too intrusive "just yet." Italy seems to be the country that plays "chicken" right until the hairy edge. Others are more cautious.

2. "A significant knowledge deficit about digital television was apparent in the research," ACMA said.

3. A "comparatively small number of Australians were climbing aboard the digital bandwagon."

4. "Over 65 per cent did not know there was a analogue switch-off date."

5. I think very significantly, "About 25 per cent of households had subscription TV, such as Foxtel." Compared here with more like 85 percent.

6. "The agency said the number of Australian households with free to air digital TV now stood at about 30 per cent, up from a low base of just 13 per cent in mid 2005." Seems to me that the popularity of OTA TV in general plays a big part in this number. With the "tuner mandate," it would be interesting to know what that number is in the US today.

7. The government is about to create a new agency, Digital Australia, to educate the public and get things rolling. Including a TV labeling campaign.

Will be interesting to follow events. I'm waiting to see whether other countries, especially those in which OTA TV is popular, will finally do what Michael Powell did, and establish a "digital tuner" mandate on the TV industry.