[opendtv] Re: And the Yang

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 17:35:54 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Sorry Bert, but you DID inform those sites that you are using a PC to access
> their content. You did not do this overtly, as in signing a license agreement,
> but you PC did identify itself to the servers that are streaming content to
> it.

If you recall, the congloms got quite perturbed about GoogleTV. The rationale
was, we are okay with people using their PCs to do TV episode "catchup,"
presumably sitting up to the small screen. But those web sites are not intended
for comfy viewing on your large flat panel in the den. The ad breaks are not
long enough for that. We expect more ad revenue from that relaxed viewing venue.

What I'm trying to get across, obviously without a lot of success, is that the
device makers should not be trying so hard to hand this information over on a
silver platter, as the tablet makers and the GoogleTV devices do. And no,
Craig, I certainly did not inform those sites.

I'm furthermore suggesting that the device makers do this differentiation, in
large measure, because it suits THEM. Because it is THEIR revenues that go up
faster, if they make the new devices unique. One obvious example, they get to
sell this new wigit, the "app," that they weren't peddling previously. Good for
you, device maker, you get to sell this new app. But pay attention: now it
becomes obvious to the congloms that you are raking in an extra amount of
revenue, and using the conglom's content for that purpose. And the device maker
feigns surprise that the conglom wants a piece of that new action? How
unbelievably naïve of them! Sounds practically disingenuous, to me.

And more, the device makers can now expect a kickback when cablecos or other
subscription sites stream to their new and different devices. Or, better yet,
if the generic cablecos won't support their new gizmo, the device maker can
create its own subscription site for that.

> For one thing, because of the differences in support for various streaming
> technologies,

... for which there was never any valid excuse. Again, it is the device maker
that was looking to benefit from this, i.e. with more revenues, more than any
technical reason.

(I can see that perhaps devices as small as smart phones really cannot use the
same web pages as PCs, however that excuse is far less credible for tablets,
whose screens are not that different from laptops.)