[opendtv] Re: And the Yang

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 07:50:19 -0400

Craig wrote:
 > It could be done EASILY today but for one thing. The ability to the
 site/content owner to identify the target device for the stream and
 NOT serve devices they don't like.

That's where you miss my point. Why are the device makers making it so easy for the ISPs to single out the device? Why are they making so easy for the congloms to complain about task-specific apps such as these?

Not sure they have a choice. I guess someone could hack the device and make it identify itself as something that is accepted...

For example, I didn't have to inform any "usage police" on how I intended to use the desktop I assigned to the TV/stereo system. So how could anyone single out that one PC, as being a TV STB, where the other one is used for more traditional PC roles?

Sorry Bert, but you DID inform those sites that you are using a PC to access their content. You did not do this overtly, as in signing a license agreement, but you PC did identify itself to the servers that are streaming content to it. The reason it still works is that the operators of these sites have decided that delivering streams to a PC is a legitimate use. You are probably correct that they do not know your PC is connected to a TV, but that's not the point.

My guess is that just as they consider a TV to be OK for cable they consider a PC to be OK for delivering video streams. This makes some sense, since if they blocked PCs, there would be little reason to offer ANY streaming services. And I suspect they are NOT worried about the small number of people who are using PCs to watch TV, as they do not consider this platform to be a legitimate long term threat.

The same can be said for tablets. Why are they designed in such a way that the ISP knows it's a tablet? Or do you think there is no other way to design these?

For one thing, because of the differences in support for various streaming technologies, a device must identify itself so that the server can deliver compatible bits. I've seen many reports about browser popularity, which indicates they know what browser you are using as well.

The reason they are easy to single out is because it benefits Apple, and the other tablet makers, to design them that way. Same goes with Google TV, just as another specific example. So my point is, don't harp about the congloms exclusively.

I think you are going a step too far with this analysis. I do not see how it benefits anyone to identify a device so that it can be discriminated against.