[opendtv] Re: And the Yang

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 16:19:03 -0700

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Manfredi, Albert E
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> It could be done EASILY today but for one thing. The ability to the
>> site/content owner to identify the target device for the stream and
>> NOT serve devices they don't like.
>
> That's where you miss my point. Why are the device makers making it so easy
> for the ISPs to single out the device? Why are they making so easy for the
> congloms to complain about task-specific apps such as these?

Because all these devices have different capabilities. Hence all of
them identify themselves via their user agent string when accessing a
website. Of course you can fake this, but the point is that the UA
string is essential in being able to render a site and any media
content on the device, since they all work differently.

One might say hey these devices all purport to be HTML5 ready. Yeah,
that would be nice, but unfortunately they are not, and whatever Apple
and Google are pushing as HTML5 in iOS and Android.. well, they are
lying. I think it is in Google and Apple's best interests to make sure
that their browser on mobile devices are 'not quite there yet' so that
they can force people into app stores and native apps.

Cheers
Kon