[opendtv] Re: And the Yang

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 18:52:29 -0500

Kon Wilms wrote:

> Because all these devices have different capabilities. Hence all of
> them identify themselves via their user agent string when accessing a
> website. Of course you can fake this, but the point is that the UA
> string is essential in being able to render a site and any media
> content on the device, since they all work differently.

Thanks, Kon. I suppose there is a balancing act as to how much of the burden to
put on the web server vs. how much on post-processing within the device itself,
when it comes to rendering web pages. Maybe a user-activated "stealth mode"
could be provided, so the device looks like any other PC. It ought to be easy
enough to supply a touch screen equivalent of a mouse pointer. Even if you need
some sort of pencil, for those with fat fingers.

> One might say hey these devices all purport to be HTML5 ready. Yeah,
> that would be nice, but unfortunately they are not, and whatever Apple
> and Google are pushing as HTML5 in iOS and Android.. well, they are
> lying. I think it is in Google and Apple's best interests to make sure
> that their browser on mobile devices are 'not quite there yet' so that
> they can force people into app stores and native apps.

Your last sentence: exactly my point. Also why they are probably not too keen
to allow users to create their own, via a template.