[opendtv] Re: And the Yang

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 18:07:56 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> This is NOT a technology problem. It is a business model problem.
>
> The apps are simply causing existing systems to "leak" in innovative
> ways that force the congloms to react. The fact that the congloms
> are reacting in very different ways suggests they don't know what to
> do.

It is a technology problem, in the sense that the technology as designed is
almost begging for the congloms to react. I think you keep missing that point.
But I do agree that the congloms seem not to know what to do.

>> Why not allow tablet owners to configure their own apps, at the very
>> least for the limited purpose of logging onto web sites to fetch
>> whatever live IP stream their heart desires?

> It could be done EASILY today but for one thing. The ability to the
> site/content owner to identify the target device for the stream and
> NOT serve devices they don't like.

That's where you miss my point. Why are the device makers making it so easy for
the ISPs to single out the device? Why are they making so easy for the congloms
to complain about task-specific apps such as these?

For example, I didn't have to inform any "usage police" on how I intended to
use the desktop I assigned to the TV/stereo system. So how could anyone single
out that one PC, as being a TV STB, where the other one is used for more
traditional PC roles?

The same can be said for tablets. Why are they designed in such a way that the
ISP knows it's a tablet? Or do you think there is no other way to design these?

The reason they are easy to single out is because it benefits Apple, and the
other tablet makers, to design them that way. Same goes with Google TV, just as
another specific example. So my point is, don't harp about the congloms
exclusively.