[opendtv] Re: A more intelligent way to deal with the White spaces?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 17:59:35 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

> IMO this whole white space deal is based on thinking that
> this spectrum really doesn't need protecting much since
> most already realize it is not heavily used. And that is
> today. After the transition and all the hoopla a few more
> people will be aware of it and the numbers will be far
> lower.

Maybe not. In Germany, they started with lower OTA usage than we have
now, before shutting off OTA analog, but DTT was deemed a success. It's
possible that as cable companies charge more for the same basic service,
as reportedly Comcast and Cox are doing in some markets, people will
think more about trying out DTT instead of cable. Like Tom said he might
do.

That effect could balance out those current OTA users who lazily pick
the cable path after transition.

The sky did not fall on Wilmington NC. That must have come as a shock to
the persistent pessimists. It would be nice to know how things are
evolving down there as the weeks and months roll by, in terms of
percentage of OTA households. Steady? Sharp decline? Slow rise?