[opendtv] Re: A more intelligent way to deal with the White spaces?

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 00:15:55 -0500

OTA is basically dead here. A combination of bad tools and little
interest on the part of broadcasters. If and when they may get a
mobile system to work with M/H or whatever they are calling it and
broadcasters then have a renewed interest in OTA I predict they will
at that exact moment of enlightenment begin the process of changing
the modulation and codec they can use.

After all it will have been 11 or 12 years since the last switch to
8-VSB and in our fast paced world you can't expect a technology to
last 50 years like NTSC. 12 years sound like enough to me. Especially
when the competition is changing and the cost to the consumer will be
little or maybe even possible nothing. That is if you factor in any
benefit from the easier reception of say a DVB-T2 and the extra
programming allowed by a better codec. The cost of a DVB-T2 tuner
would be very inexpensive related to the benefits IMO.

Time to change before we go down this dead-end any further.

Bob Miller