[opendtv] Re: A more intelligent way to deal with the White spaces?

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 19:32:29 -0400

http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/68694

Broadcasters Urged to Participate in White Space Standards
10.28.2008

[ ... ]

The standards being developed by the Working Group cover "Wireless Regional
Area Networks" (WRANs), and call for such measures as spectrum sensing, a
database service, geo-location and cognitive capabilities to reduce the
possibility of "collisions" between broadcast signals and unlicensed devices
operating within broadcast spectrum.

[ ... ]

IMO, depending how such WRANs are controlled, this could work. What I think
won't work is ad-hoc networks of consumer devices, e.g. for multiplayer games,
in the white spaces.

I'm sure that opposition or support for WSDs in part depends on what our
preconceived notions are on their exact nature. Or, in many cases, simply
dismissing the relevance of OTA TV entirely, which naturally makes the whole
discussion utterly trivial.