[opendtv] Re: A more intelligent way to deal with the White spaces?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 07:32:06 -0400

At 6:13 PM -0400 11/1/08, Albert Manfredi wrote:

 Why do broadcasters have any more claim to this spectrum
 for a "new" service than other potential users of this spectrum?

Because it's their spectrum. Perhaps broadcasters can make the same argument about using the DBS spectrum? Or the WiFi spectrum? Or how about allowing WSDs in the GPS spectrum? Why not allow broadcasters to blast away from their high towers in the 2.4 GHz band, for "new services"? Broadcasters have given up 200 MHz of spectrum for cell service, in the 1980s and now, so it's not like nothing has changed.

No Bert, it is NOT their spectrum. It is OUR spectrum.

And broadcasters purposely decided to use this spectrum in a highly inefficient manner for a service that most people do not use anymore. I am not advocating eliminating OTA broadcasting. I am simply saying that it is time for broadcasters to wake up and stop trying to convince folks that their service is threatened by the development of new services that share the portions of "their spectrum" that are lying fallow.

The demands for spectrum are far different today than in the era when broadcasters were LOANED this spectrum to create the TV service. You noted above a whole series of new spectrum applications that have enabled the development of huge new industries that help propel our economy and generate new jobs.

The spectrum is a precious national resource that should be used to benefit the people, not special interests who hoard it. The best economic use of these precious resources is just as important as the maintenance of legacy services that do not provide significant benefits to the public.

We could still have buggy paths that run along every interstate highway...

A good compromise would be to allow only the low VHF for consumer devices, and allow sharing of white spaces otherwise only for fixed broadband service, where channel assignments can be done intelligently.

Compromise might be a good approach IF the current occupants were willing to compromise.

They are not.

In the face of this kind of obstruction of progress the FCC has little choice but to force the issue.

And I completely disagree that it is not possible for devices to be designed that will work compatibly with the existing broadcast system.