[opendtv] Re: A more intelligent way to deal with the White spaces?

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 13:57:24 -0500

Those new young whipersnapper Congresscritters are about to descend on
DC looking for new things to champion.

Unused spectrum like channels 2-51 will be prime for re-distribution
once the reality of how few will still be actually using this spectrum
after the transition.

IMO this whole white space deal is based on thinking that this
spectrum really doesn't need protecting much since most already
realize it is not heavily used. And that is today. After the
transition and all the hoopla a few more people will be aware of it
and the numbers will be far lower.

Someone is bound to ask, "Why protect it at all, why not sell it?"

Sell it to somebody that will use if for something that actually has a
decent customer base.
Someone with no conflict of interest with other revenue streams.
Someone who values the spectrum enough to build it out so that it
works well mobile, fixed and portable virtually everywhere.
Someone who pays attention to the tools that they are allowed to use
and to the decision making process that decides on those tools.
Someone willing not only to pay for the spectrum but to live and die
by a business plan that maximises the value of the spectrum.

Bob Miller