[opendtv] Re: 3D TV market to grow 500% in 2011

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 06:50:55 -0400

Big whoop. You only build 3D sets, so the market of 3D sets can't help but grow.

My question is, how does the CE industry make these decisions? Honestly, I don't get it.

They are always looking for "the next big thing." In this case it may have something to do with the need for an expensive accessory - active 3D goggles - to obtain the 3D benefit. The actual cost to add the processing may not be that significant.

On the other hand, this may just be another case of an analyst trying to help clients build something that isn't really there.

Remember when Netbooks were going to be a huge market?

When DTV started, the industry (and CEA) couldn't help but whine about installing ATSC receivers, and they dragged their feet for years before making a decently up to date STB available at all! It took a FCC order to finally stop the logjam.

It was not the FCC Bert, it was the complexity of the technical solution to get ATSC to work at all. It took SEVERAL turns of the Moore's Law crank to make appropriate chips feasible at an affordable price. As for STBs, there never was a real market; it took government subsidies to make them happen at all.

When IBOC digital radio started, it was like pulling teeth to get a decent stereo component tuner with IBOC. And it's still impossible to get HD radio factory installed in the very vast majority of cars.

At least this is market driven, and the radio industry IS doing a good job of promoting HD radio. Once again, the problem is the lack of consumer demand.

So what is it that makes the TV industry so intent on cramming 3D sets down our throats, whether we want them or not?

I'm so hugely unsympathetic with any of this nonsense. It just makes them sound like they are all on the take.

They are trying to ride a small wave of excitement about 3D generated by a movie industry that is desperate to get people into theater seats.

Remember, the last big success for the CE industry was game consoles. The computer industry drove the shift to high quality panel displays, and the CE industry quickly turned them into a commodity they could make tiny profits on.

Once again, something else is going to turn out to be the next big thing. And this time it could fundamentally change consumer expectations and who they buy their next TV from.

Stay tuned...