[opendtv] Re: 3D TV market to grow 500% in 2011

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 17:47:21 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Ford offers [HD Radio] on all models. Looks Like GM and Toyota have
> been fighting making HD radio standard when they install a
> satellite radio...

Yup. They get to hide the monthly cost in your payments. Nice new revenue
stream. That was my point. A few other smaller-volume companies offer it too,
or did anyway, like BMW and Jaguar. You mention aftermarket, but the auto
companies have made that ever more difficult. The radio in GMs is integrated
with OnStar, including the hands free cell phone feature which comes with
OnStar service. The days of the standard-looking car radio are long gone.

> It's not difficult to get HD radio, it is more a question of whether
> consumer find it compelling enough to pay for.

Are consumers asked whether they want to pay for 3DTVs? No. The cost of
installing HD Radio, especially in such expensive setups as cars, is utterly
trivial, Craig. It should be standard equipment. What is the BOM for HD Radio?
$1.98?

> No impropriety here. Simply a reflection of the reality that the
> potential market for ATSC tuners and HD radio are so small. Not that
> 3D is going to be much bigger,

I just can't buy your rationalizations, but at least we seem to agree that
their behavior is inconsistent.

> They had no choice with ATSC. It is mandated.

Thank goodness for that, or consumers would have been totally frozen out. The
Michael Powell FCC had to do for ATSC what the CE companies managed to figure
out on their own for 3D.

> Consumers are moving on to a new generation of mobile devices being
> driven by competitors to the traditional (Asian) CE industry. They are
> leaving 20th century technologies where they belong...in the past
> century.

There is some of that going on, but unfortunately, consumers are continuing to
allow themselves to be led around by the nose just as much as they ever were.
Now they are at the mercy of "vertically integrated" companies dictating
fashion, and unnecessarily crippled "connected TVs" that can easily be rendered
useless by the congloms.

Why US consumers are so infinitely more prone to these shenanigans than their
Euro counterparts I just don't know.