[opendtv] Re: 20060807 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 09:20:38 -0400

At 4:10 PM -0400 8/12/06, Albert Manfredi wrote:

1. There isn't any other long-winded debate going on, and

Every debate with Bert is long winded.

2. I was generally agreeing with Jeroen that "In this neighborhood 16:9 is the standard for today." That statement seems completely valid, yet he was taken to task. Here too, 16:9 is the wide screen and HDTV standard, although SD programs continue to use (over DTT) 4 X 3. In some rare cases, 14:9. I see 14:9 used by the WB network in some of their digital SDTV transmissions, oddly enough.

The only standard that is relevant here is the video coding standard - in this case MPEG-2 MP@HL and/or MPEG-4 part 10 (aka AVC). Neith of these standard give a rats ass about formats. aspect ratios, or the relationship between what is encoded and what winds up on the display.

These codecs just encode arrays of samples that fit within the performance limits of the profiles being used. It is up to the display processor to take the output of the decoder and figure out how to accommodate the rasters in an appropriate manner on the display. This may or may not involve changing the sample aspect ratios using either linear or non-linear scaling.

This discussion was getting old a decade ago. Formats are meaningless in a properly designed digital system, since every display is expected to accommodate any format (within the performance limits of the decoder(s).

Any content production/distribution organization is free to establish "house standards." Some may choose specific raster sizes and aspect ratios. This does not mean that we are converging on any single raster size or aspect ratio.