[opendtv] Re: 20060807 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 16:10:26 -0400

Donald Koeleman wrote:

B: But the part I highlighted states that the formats an HD ready
set must be capable of receiving "at the input" are 1280 x 720
at 50 or 60p, and 1920 X 1080 at 50 or 60i.

D:Yup, these are the input and timing requirements set by the
'HD Ready' logo programme, again this doesn't say anything
about the actual broadcasts and whether the screen needs to
have a square pixel asspect ratio.

Clarifying again that this is according to TF1 and not the EU, I'd say:

(1) What you call "input and timing requirements," or "et acceptant en entree les formats video 1280x720p50, 1280x720p60, 1920x1080i50 et 1920x1080i60." are de facto broadcasting standards as far as TF1 goes. I can only interpret what TF1 is saying as being "We transmit any HD program in one of those four formats." How else to interpret this? That perhaps the transmission might be 1440 X 1080 at 30p (for example), but that an STB must convert that to one of the four formats they list? Theoretically a possible interpretation, but a heck of a stretch.

(2) To be consistent with everything TF1 said, the transmission standard will be (from them at least) square pixels and 16:9 aspect ratio. They specify those formats and they specify 16:9. Ergo, we have no degrees of freedom left.

I agree that TF1 does not state that an HD ready display needs to be in one of those four formats or necessarily square pixels either. They don't list any definitive set of formats for the displays, other than a minimum requirement of:

"une image 16:9eme d'au moins 720 lignes (soit une resolution native minimale de 1280x720)."

By *that* definition, which is TF1's and not the EU's, any 1024 X 720 display would be dubious as "HD ready." 1024 X 768 may be more acceptable, given the total pixel count. Hard to say. Should ask them.

I did search the CSA site and did not find any clear statement from THEM, however.

so why did you put this issue forward, so keenly, and why are we (still)
debating this?

Two reasons:

1. There isn't any other long-winded debate going on, and

2. I was generally agreeing with Jeroen that "In this neighborhood 16:9 is the standard for today." That statement seems completely valid, yet he was taken to task. Here too, 16:9 is the wide screen and HDTV standard, although SD programs continue to use (over DTT) 4 X 3. In some rare cases, 14:9. I see 14:9 used by the WB network in some of their digital SDTV transmissions, oddly enough.