[openbeosnetteam] Re: Progress report

  • From: "David Reid" <dreid@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 13:33:25 -0000

> > David wrote:
> > > Philippe, no offense, but I actually want to rip out all sorts of
> > > code and reorganise what we have anyways! Given this your code is
> > > very useful but I can't help thinking that a totally new clean
> > > codebase will be cool and should allow us to have a best possible
> > > implementation.
> > I would vote +1 for a code reorganisation too.
>
> Me too, and for a reworked naming scheme (proper prefixes, init/
> shutdown calls: right now, we have destroy, delete, shutdown,
> whatever).

yes, I'm aware and have tried to tidy up in my recent changes...

> > Well, the R5.x devfs don't let you choose where to put the device
> > drivers, as
> > he looks for device drivers in these places only:
>
> A "rescan" finds all drivers, not only those symlinked in .../drivers/
> dev.
> But you're right. I am not sure though, if there are any restrictions
> on modules.
> And we will have only two drivers, the socket driver, and the
> networking card driver.
>
> > We could move all *support* functions into a support module, that all
> > modules (core, interfaces, protocols) will use (get_module()).
> >
> > Kernel modules are like kernel DLLs, except... they're not really :-)
> > get_module() / put_module() do reference count, so no multiple
> > loads...
> >
> > pools, mbuf, misc, timers, queues would be better in one network
> > support
> > module.

This isn't as easy as it sounds :( I've had to have a lot of these as
functions from core, which isn't a problem, it's just a long list. why? We
want all mbufs centrally allocated, and so any function that touches an
allocation/free must be done by the core code.

> I disagree here - mbuf, and pools are quite usable for others, too. I
> would just make different modules for them. We could also consider
> reworking the timer to don't have those net_ prefixes and put it in
> another module.

The kernel defines a timer and so I've used that for the kernel code so far.
I'm guessing that's where you got your idea from?:)

Hope you're feeling better soon.

david