[openbeosnetteam] Re: PPP API

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 17:38:16 +0200

> > These overwhelming responses tell me that: either my design total ****
> > or it is boring or nobody is here or maybe you are not interested. :)
>
> Sorry Waldemar (and all team as a whole), I'm having some
> girlfriend pregnancy issue, and not really focusing on OpenBeOS right
now...
> Hopefully, this will come to an end, called Thomas, soon :-)

Congratulations and good luck! ;)

> I gave a look at the headers, looks like a good start, but I'm worrying
> about how you will interface these classes with the current stack modules
API,
> which are very lowest level.
> Beware too that, according to Axel Dorfler, inheritage in kernel land may
or
> may not works, depends on... Axel mood ;-)

I think the only problem is multiple inheritage.

> > This is only a small draft and it will change a little bit. I am not
> > very sure about the K prefix.
>
> Drop it, please. PPPInterface class name make far better sense.

Okay. I will add the K prefix to the headers, though. Otherwise we would
have a naming problem.

> > Should I use the OpenTracker style? It looks so ugly. :)
>
> Well according to OpenBeos develop chart, yes.
> However, nobody will throw away your work only because it doesn't follow
this
> stylme guideline.

It is already changed. I can live with OpenTracker.

> > (look at Application.h).
> > Should I continue?
>
> Obviously !
> Don't drop you work just because the current team leader seem to be wapor.
> Do backup of your code often, and share it.
> Do you have an idea already on how you can interface with current stack
code?
> I may find old ppp/dialup code, lost in the move under /current tree,
maybe
> it can help you to see how to merge your work with the current stack.

The ppp_module will route all communications to the PPPInterface.
The old ppp code could be very useful. If you find it send it to me, please.

> And, please, don't focus too much on PPP serving support. R1 target is to
offer
> dialup client support in priority...

I just wanted to be prepared for the future. Otherwise we would have to
rewrite everything later. Why should we do the work twice if we can do it
once?

> Keep doing good work.

I am doing my (nearly ;) best.

Waldemar